De Havilland Mosquito performs a low pass at the Fighter Factory's airfield this morning for FAA Inspectors.<br />(Image Credit: Military Aviation Museum)

De Havilland Mosquito right after take off from  the Fighter Factory’s airfield this morning .
(Image Credit: Military Aviation Museum)

Regular readers of Warbirds News know we’ve been following the progress of Jerry Yagen and the Military Aviation Museum’s de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito, from its shipment from New Zealand to the announcement of its first public appearance. The plane has been being assembled over the past few weeks at the Military Aviation Museum’s facility in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with the assistance of technicians from Avspecs Ltd of New Zealand, who had completed the assembly and initial test flights of the plane at their shop in the Southern Hemisphere before disassembling it and packing it into three shipping containers for the month-long oversea journey to its new home in the states.

The Mosquito during flight testing in New Zealand, prior to disassembly and shipment. (Photo Credit: Avspecs Ltd/Military Aviation Museum)

(Photo Credit: Avspecs Ltd/Military Aviation Museum)

The project, which has resulted in what is believed to be the world’s only airworthy Mosquito, has been an 8-year and reportedly four million dollar odyssey for Yagen and the museum. The Mosquito’s unique glued balsa and birch wood construction conceived to minimize metal usage during wartime, made for an extremely lightweight plane, that while an exceptional performer, had no shot at longevity as the animal glues that held their molded wood fuselages together made for a plane that literally decomposed, and quite rapidly if exposed to the elements.

Fabrication of moulded wooden Mosquito fuselage. (Image Credit: Canadian Historical Aircraft Association)

Fabrication of moulded wooden Mosquito fuselage.
(Image Credit: Canadian Historical Aircraft Association)

Perhaps for the sheer challenge of the project, Hagen located a mouldering pile of wood that had once been a Mosquito but still had much of its metal bracketry and other non-wooden items intact and had a body fabricated from scratch by Mr. Glyn Powell of Papakura, New Zealand, based upon jigs and molds he had completed by hand over the course of a decade for a static display Mosquito commissioned by the Canadian Historical Aircraft Association. An airworthy Mosquito, being something of the holy grail for aviation enthusiasts, as word got out that Hagen was resurrecting one, needed rare parts necessary for the restoration were offered up to aid in the project. Landing gear brakes from England, a pair of engines from Australia, instruments and a propeller from Canada, a seat found (un)surprisingly enough on eBay, “One by one, these pieces all came out of the woodwork” says Yagen.

The plane has been finished in the colors and marking of the 487th Squadron of the Royal New Zealand Air Force that, flying their Mosquitos, took part in the daring Allied raid dubbed “Operation Jericho” where Allied bombers attacked the Amiens prison in German-occupied France, causing extensive damage to the facility and enabling over a hundred Resistance prisoners, who were scheduled for execution, to escape.

Mosquito undergoing engine and ground testing under the watchful eyes of FAA inspectors. (Photo Credit: Avspecs Ltd/Military Aviation Museum)

(Photo Credit: Avspecs Ltd/Military Aviation Museum)

The plane underwent ground testing for FAA inspectors last week, which it passed with flying colors and while the air tests for certification to fly in US airspace was originally scheduled for last Friday, uncooperative weather on that day and over the weekend caused delays in doing the flight certification. This morning the plane took to the air and was put through it’s paces without incident, though it is still awaiting final certification from the FAA which is expected shortly. The public debut for the Mosquito is scheduled for the Military Aviation Museum’s Warbirds Over the Beach Air Show on the 18th and 19th of this month.

Here is the video of the take off.

Thanks to Jon Brawner, one of the mechanics at Fighter Factory, for sending the video to us!

You may also like:

37 Comments

1. Wow – what a great restoration! Hope the glue holds! Can’t wait to see it up close and in person!

2. What a great job by the Fighter Factory team! Jerry Yagen should be happy!

3. So glad to see the Mosquito flying. It’s. one if my favorite planes!

4. Thats awesome ! Would love to see a flying example in the U.S.

5. Pretty fascinating looking plane.

6. That’s one cool plane! Hopefully now that one has been done others will follow.

7. My nephew showed me this website and it has been fantastic reading through it all over the last few days. As a WWII Veteran I think it is great what you folks are doing. Keeping the spirit of flight alive is what this country needs more of these days to cure what ails it. Keep up the great work. I look forward to all the news coming soon!

Yours in Flight,
    Warren Wilcox

8. So incredibly impressive.
    My grandfather flew (and ditched) as a test pilot for de Havilland in the early 1940′s and this literally gave me chills to connect with this part of my heritage!

Well done, and thank you

9. Pingback: Air Show Report: Warbirds Over the Beach 2013 | Warbirds News

10. Jeff Selchow says:

Please, tell me this Magnificent Bird will be at Oshkosh.

11. Pingback: Harrier Jump Jet for Sale on eBay

12. Just watched a British TV show all about the guys who made re-flying an original Mosquito. Absolutely brilliant and I would just like to thank everyone who made the re-build possible, what a stunning aircraft!! You guys. hopefully are justifiably proud and if you aren’t. you should be!….. Oh. and I’d love to help you restore another if you ever need ! Fingers crossed.

13. Paul Smith says:

This is the only flying example of the Mosquito in the world? thats pritty cool, but soon there will be a second joining the ranks
    http://vicair.net/projects/mosquito they’re mosquito has just gone into the paint shop for its paint bath

14. Pingback: Airworthy de Havilland Mosquito Nearing Completion in Canada

15. what a great site at last a air worthy mosquito back ware she belongs in the air it doesn’t get any better than that

16. Ray Mathiesen says:

Bloody wonderful.
    I served my apprenticeship at DH Hatfield and was lucky enough to fly in what was then the only Mossy. Unfortunately lost some yars ago. My old boss and good friend at STC was a navigator on Mossies in WWll, selected for that position because he was only 5′ 5″ tall.
    Hope we’get to see in UK.

17. Pingback: City of Calgary's Mosquito Finally Under Restoration

18. Pingback: Victoria Air Maintenance's Mosquito Almost Ready To Fly

19. Pingback: Happy Birthday To The de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito

20. The Lake Champlain CVA-39 was returning to America via the Suez Canal in 1953 when a Mosquito flippped over onto its back and skimmed our flight deck by no more than 20 feet. Our skippper was outraged, but I was in absolute admiiration of the pilot.

21. Marian Nicholls says:

Just watched the Utube of the first flight of the rebuild of a Mosquito whcih was made on 7 th May 2013.
    I had tears in my eyes as I was watching that beautiful plane. My father, Ralph Marcus Hare, was on the original design team of 9 men working in secret at Salisbury Hall near London Colney, Herts. He was in fact the last surviving member of that team which included Sir Geoffery de Havilland. He never flew in the Mossie but often spoke about and gave many lectures on its construction of which he took part in whilst producing the prototype. There have been others claiming to be on the design team since my father’s death, notably in a recent documentary, but they were not part of the original team as my father was the youngest member and would have been 100 this year!

Glyn Powell was in touch with my father for many years during his mammoth venture of a complete build. Dad was able to give help and Glyn frequently sent back reports on its progress.
    We were in Auckland in December 2011 but were unable to find Glyn and thus unable to see the Mosquito.

I would like to thank Glyn and all those who have helped to get this plane off the ground and into the place it was intended. I kniw how much Dad would have loved to have been at its maiden flight as he was at the original in 1940.

Best wishes to all Mossie enthusiasts!
    Marian Nicholls (nee Hare)

22. Tomas Kristian Hoiaas says:

Hi Folks !

Nice plane.I worked on the Mossies on a Squadron in The Norwegian Air Force in the early

fifties.A beautiful plane with no “trics” No eletronics that faied ! I would have loved to see her

in the air again..

With greatings from Brazil,where I now is living. Tomas

23. Hey there! Quick question that’s entirely off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My blog looks weird when viewing from my
    iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this problem.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Appreciate it!

24. James Kirley says:

Kermit Weeks has his Mossie parked in the Eagle hangar at EAA Oshkosh museum. I last saw this fly during the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Britain some years ago. I still believe it is airworthy, however I haven’t heard of it flying since I last saw it. Pretty amazing especially when it flew with a Spitfire and Hurricane. Probably won’t see that pairing again in my life time.
    Great job guys. Congrats. Hope to see your Mosquito on the show circuit.

25. We have one we’re trying to put back together. It’s in boxes right now waiting for its new life here in Calgary AB Can. If you’d like to be involved go to calgarymosquitosociety.com
    Could use all the help we can get!

26. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future.

Many thanks

• Thanks very much! We look forwards to your continued visits, and hope you continue to enjoy our work.

• john w kelly says:

did you guys know that a great no. of mossies were built in canada by canadian craftsmen with western spruce ie. sitka spruce stronger than steel wate for wate YES ITS CALLED DE HAVILLAND TORONTO ? yaeh and the y were equipped WITH TWO PACKARD BUILT MERLIN ENGINES yeah you limeys designed it but you were not alone in the war . if not for the empire later the common wealth you brits would be saying VVVEEE VIILL DOO IT MY WAY!!!!!! ya and spreking deuith

27. john w kelly says:

you got my message baby eat it

28. Dr. Mendel Bocknek says:

Gentlemen & Ladies…I just happened upon your Mossy website while explaining to my caregiver about my childhood hobby of flying my model planes @ DH Downsview “airport” in north Toronto in the 1940′s….it triggered so many great visions as a 12 year old staring through the chainlink fence awestruck @ each beautiful plywood Mosquito aircraft taxiing onto the tarmack for it’s flight check prior to going off to war…ahh Memories @ 84!!!!
    My very best to you and your projects.
    M.Mendel Bocknek, M.D. [former F/L RCAF 412th Sq. Rockliffe, ON.]

29. Pingback: Our Lancaster is on its way (tomorrow)

30. Fantastic work old chaps….Brilliant to hear that the
    Wooden Wonder still flys….The film of the original chaps hedge hopping over Holland and France to roll bombs thru Nazi doorways amazed me as a kid. And the Merlin Purr….Unforgetable.

Tally Ho!