As reported on Global Aviation Resource Spitfire Mk FR.XVIIIe SM845 (G-BUOS) made its first flight from IWM Duxford . On Tuesday, 17 December 2013, Richard Lake’s Spitfire Mk FR.XVIIIe SM845 took to the skies for the first time since summer 2010, following its rebuild to flying condition by Historic Flying Limited (HFL) at IWM Duxford in conjunction with Airframe Assemblies Ltd on the Isle of Wight. Both have been responsible for several high-profile Spitfire restorations in recent years, with their projects now flying in the UK, Europe and USA.
The Spitfire Mk FR.XVIIIe M845 was built at Chattis Hill, England in 1945 and it was delivered to 39 MU (Maintenance Unit) on May 30, 1945. The aircraft was used in India, first with the RAF, then the Indian Air Force.This aircraft was one of eight Spitfires recovered from India by Duxford-based Ormonde and Wensley Haydon-Baillie in 1977. It passed through several owners before being returned to the air by Historic Flying Ltd. in 1998.SM845 (G-BUOS) was registered as SE-BIN on the 25th of May 2009. Sadly, the experienced pilot, Bertil Gerhardt died when Spitfire SM845 crashed at Tynset in Norway when the aircraft veered off the runway during landing.
The Spitfire was subsequently returned to the UK where it has undergone extensive restoration to flying condition by Historic Flying Limited, in the Aircraft Restoration Company’s hangar at IWM Duxford, for its new owner, Richard Lake. The aircraft is now painted in the striking silver, with the red spinner adding a flash of colour, of No. 28 Squadron, Hong Kong, during July 1950.
To read more about this restoration read: